Sungkyunkwan University Interaction Science
  • HOME
  • NOTICE
  • Announcement

Announcement

The story of James Dux on SKKU webzine!!!!!
 작성자 : 관리자
Date : 2015-12-24  |  Hit : 1,271  

Hello, It's Dept. of Interaction Science.

Our student, James Dux, his story is on SKKU webzine.

Unfortunately, the article on webzine is translated into Korean. (link:http://www.skkuzine.com/People/view/1321 )

Here is his story of original in English. Please enjoy this!!!

Thank you.

-----

1. The first impression of Korea

I got my first real impression of Korea right before I actually arrived. On the long plane ride from New York to Seoul, they served bibimbap, a food I had never seen before. Sure I could use chopsticks, but I had no idea how to start this strange and unfamiliar dish, so hesitated to begin eating. Sitting next to me was an older Korean woman who noticed my confusion. She was quite happy and excited to show me how to mix and eat it, I felt relieved; a little human kindness goes a long way. I was nervous to start my life here, but the woman wished me luck and reassured me that I would have a good time as the plane touched down in Seoul. I believe that most people are naturally good, and living in Korea has reaffirmed my belief. My first impression of Korea is a stranger's kindness, a stranger who I don't know but will always remember. 

2. The reason to come to Korea

This isn't a complicated question, but I don't have a simple answer. After I finished university and taught for a short time, I wanted to move out of my country and comfort zone and give myself a unique experience. So, I considered teaching English in places like China, Thailand, and Korea. I decided on Korea for a number of reasons, but there is no primary reason. First, Korea had pretty fair contracts for public school teachers. Teachers were well protected and taken care of, so there was less worry about when starting in a new country. I had also heard that the students were some of the best in Asia, they were supposed to be very bright and studious. I've met all sorts of students while teaching high school, and I have to agree. Though, it wasn't their intelligence that I enjoyed the most, it was their personalities. Another reason was of the different ways I had heard about Korea, so I was curious to see things for myself. My grandfather was here during the Korean War, so I was interested in the history and the DMZ. While in university Starcraft II came out, and so I spent some time following the players from around the world, and some of the best were from Korea. Finally, one of my previous coworkers was of Korean origin, and I had enjoyed his company. Overall, there is no main reason, but an accumulation of many small reasons. I'm happy with my decision!

3. The attraction of Interaction Science

Interaction Science was an easy choice for me. I was researching schools in Korea, and noting the various programs. There were many engineering/computer science programs, and many design programs. However, there were very few programs that had a bit of both disciplines, design and engineering. Interaction Science matched really well with my previous university experience which included some 3D animation, computer programming, and design principles. 

4. The diffculty of communicating in Korea

Despite the language barrier I don't think there is too much difficulty in communicating. Of course, if you can't read Hangul you're going to have a hard time getting around and finding what you want. Life in Korea becomes much easier once you can read, even if you don't know every word. If you know a little bit but can't speak well, people are always willing to help you. Body language, gestures, and pointing will get you pretty far! With a few words between you, some body language, and alcohol you can makes friends easily as well :) In addition, English is such a world language that most Koreans (especially young people) are quite familiar with at least the basic words. Vocabulary becomes much more important than grammar for Koreans and foreigners when they interact.

5. Differences between Korea and your homeland

This is a long and difficult question because there are many differences, and the differences that we see are sometimes not true in general, only what we have personally experienced. I grew up in a small town where it was necessary to have a car for work and school, because there was no public transportation. Everyone got their first car in high school because it was a necessity. In Korea, public transportation is ubiquitous and reliable, so it's quite convenient to get around without a car. However, this difference is no longer true if you compare a US city and a small Korean village. One of the more annoying differences for me is Confucianism. It sometimes bothers me how older people treat younger people, it seems rude to me. However, the older people are also frequently helpful to the younger people, so it has a good side. I'm a bit glad that as a foreigner I don't quite fit into Korean societal hierarchy, so I can avoid worrying about it. The community feeling in Korea is nice, because I rarely have to worry about thieves and people are quite helpful and work together quite well. On the other hand, the community can be a little overbearing because people are subconsciously encouraged to feel and think similar things; individuality can be stifled a little. Overall, yes there are many differences, but through the world people are people (good and bad) and cities feel like cities. Your experience will vary depending on where you go and who you meet in Korea, though it is usually a positive experience!